Thursday 2 January 2020

Pretrip Intro


                                                                                                                                                                     


Sunday January 5th, 2020 I depart for a week long visit to Chile, to explore what is happening in their dairy industry. The anticipated highlight of this trip will be a visit to Ancali Dairy in Los Angeles, Chile, the largest robotic milking herd in the world milking 4500 cows with 64 robots. I hope to also visit many other dairies and farm venues, including pasture based dairies with robotic milking, a research station with both robots and a parlor, a very large dairy set up by a consortium of New Zealand dairy interests and with luck a winery or two as well.
One of the goals of this trip is to explore the possibilities for a Progressive Dairy Operators (PDO) tour to Chile to be organized for February or March 2021. So if you have an interest in touring with us next year this can be a chance to preview some of what we will see then.
I have never done a blog before but if you are interested in sharing in my experiences over the next week, I hope to add pictures and comments on what I am learning on a daily basis. At this point I have no idea about how this works, but hopefully I can sort it out in the next few days. Despite my twenty plus year interest in robotics and precision dairy technologies, I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to digital communication so I make no promises that this is going to work. But I will give it my best shot.
I am travelling to these farms as a guest of DeLaval and want to thank them for this invitation.
Look for my next post on Monday January 6th, when I will be touring dairies west of Santiago.

1 comment: